Diet Plan for Summer
Beat the Heat!
What you eat needs to go parallel with the weather and surroundings you live in, your job, and your lifestyle. Summer is an excellent time to detox. When it's warm, it's a lot easier for the body to detox naturally. When we detox, we automatically feel healthy and full of energy.
Make the most of this season by doing these easy steps!
1.) Drinking water is the key
Kids and adults usually neglect or tend to forget that they don't drink enough water. Teenagers typically choose aerated drinks, but water is the wiser choice. It cools your body down and prevents dehydration.
2.) Eat lots of fresh fruits, salads, and vegetables.
They are super easy to digest and are high in water content which in turn prevents dehydration. Avoid eating fried, processed foods.
3.) Lesser spices while cooking
One may enjoy the spice aftertaste, but it affects the insides of your body.
4.) Maintain a healthy distance from sugar
Sugar is the most redundant ingredient. Weight gain and sugar go hand in hand. Switching to healthier alternatives like honey etc. will be much better.
5.) Summer is all about drinking liquids.
Many drinks can be had without adding sugar to them. Coconut water, kokum water, jaljeera, chaas are some of the drinks. Another drink in summer can be made with Sabja seeds or basil seeds.
6.) A big no-no to extra oil
Too much oil in food can adversely affect your body. It causes weight gain, upset stomach, etc. It's better to switch to olive oil instead.
7.) Curd & Yogurt all the way
Do include curd or yogurt in your meals. Buttermilk is another excellent option. Besides tasting delicious, it has several health benefits too. Add a dash of mint to enhance the taste.
Here's a quick diet plan for the whole day:
- Breakfast – Have 2 to 3 fresh fruits that will kick start your day—giving you energy and keeping you active.
- Lunch – 1 or 2 rotis with veggies or a salad
- Snack – Quick granola oats or healthy baked cookies
- Dinner – Fruit Yogurt or a smoothie bowl. Stir-fried veggies, grilled chicken or steamed fish etc. Avoid heavy dinners at night.
Lifestyle to be followed in summers-
- Rise early and go for a morning walk.
- Wear light clothes like cotton and make sure to use light colors like white, grey, etc.
- A short nap is really good during summer.
- Exercise and practice deep breathing.
- Don't skip meals.
- Keep body moisturized
Amla, ginger, ghee, coconut will not only add great flavor but will also reinvigorate you.
9.) Avoid caffeinated or carbonated beverages.
These drinks contain preservatives and sugar. Excessive intake will lead to an increase in phosphorous levels in the blood.
10.) Take a grip on all of your strenuous activities.
Make sure to not over-exert, especially during summers. It'll drain you out immediately, considering the great heat.
11.) Maintain good hygiene levels
The sultry heat of summers can get to us. Therefore, we must have control over our hygiene levels.
12.) Don't forget raw mango.
During the summer season, raw mango is an exceptional fruit and is extremely good to prevent weakness. Raw mango juice, also known as aam panna, can help balance electrolytes in the body.
Here are some common fruits and vegetables to be eaten during summers. But, in an elevated innovative way!
- Watermelons – They are juicy and go directly hand in hand with the summer season. The seeds of the watermelon give a cooling effect to the body.
- Best eaten in the morning by themselves.
- Mixed fruit salad
- Jams, jellies, and marmalades
- Eaten by themselves
- Orange juice
- Fruit salad
- Raita, salad
- Green smoothie with almond/ coconut milk
- Mixed in buttermilk
4. Zucchini – Rich in Vitamin C and known for its benefits to eye and skincare
- Added to sauteed veggies or a salad
- Side dish with a grilled chicken or fish for either lunch or dinner
- Smoothie can be made for breakfast
- Tossed in olive oil for a quick spaghetti
- Salad or raita
- Lettuce wraps
Stick to the plan and stay cool this summer! Take care of your body, a little extra during this season.