A bhel is nothing but a really crunchy salad of sorts. Our Indian palate craves crunchy ‘chat-pata’ appetizers but our health-conscious tries to reign it in. You may put an end to this eternal wrestling match because we have given chat-pata a make-over and turned it into a paragon of healthy!
Here’s how you can whip your very own yummy bhel.
- 1 cup diced Tomato
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- ½ cup chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 cups Puffed Rice
- ¼ cup Coriander & Yogurt Chutney
- ½ cup The Green Snack Co. Roasted Namkeen
- 1 medium sized Lemon
- Salt to taste
- Chaat Masala to taste (optional)
- Black Salt to taste
- 1 cup Pomegranate seeds (for seasoning)
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients.
- Zest up the lemon using a microplane over the bhel mixture.
- Slice the same lemon and squeeze one-half’s juice over the mixture.
- Mix well. Taste. Adjust. Your healthy bhel is ready to be dug in.
Really, the only unhealthy thing about traditional bhel is the namkeen or crunchy element which are deep-fried kernels of refined flour and full of artificial colourings & flavourings. This exactly what we have changed. Our healthy namkeens are roasted i.e. sans trans-fat and made from nutritious whole grains minus the artificial flavours/colours.
Now you can savour the same mouth-watering taste in a new and healthier version. Bliss out on Bhel 2.0!